Thursday, January 08, 2009

Happy, Happy Birthday Baby...

Happy Birthday Bethany!

My baby is now 25 years old. And yes, for those of you who do the "new" elderly math, I had her when I was 4 years old. LOL

On January 4, 1984, I was at home on a Sunday morning having pains. It really felt more like a bladder infection than labor, and I figured, "Oh great, I'm about to go into labor, and I have an infection." To make a long story short, I was in labor. It was a cold January morning in North Highlands, California, and we really couldn't afford to keep the house overly warm. I woke up, went to the ladies room and told my husband I didn't think I was going to make it to church today. I was right. I didn't make it to church.

I didn't make it to the hospital, either. She was born an hour and 10 minutes later at home. A few minutes after that, there were firemen in my bedroom wearing full gear (they had been called to a fire, but ended up at my place) and two ambulance drivers. Looking back it was somewhat comical. My husband always said he wanted to deliver the baby. He got his chance. LOL The ambulance guys cleaned her up and then we took an ambulance ride, sans sirens, to Roseville hospital. The hospital had been trying to push the sibling program so my older son could be there. As it ended up, he was outside in pj's directing the ambulance and her sister Dee was there. For years after she always talked about babies being born with blood on their forehead (as if it was the most natural thing in the world) and this was what she knew about babies. It's funny how things work out sometimes. And so it was that Bethany came into this world, and how we both had our very first ambulance ride on the same day.

And I'm quite sure Bethany will be thrilled that I related this story. LOL

And she really isn't a baby any more, I suppose. But she is my youngest child.
Trust me, they grow up way too fast.

Happy Birthday Bethany.

1 comment:

nna said...

ha haha I love the story! And good job with the math! A lot of times people think my younger sister is my daughter.. but I was 8 when she was born!