Saturday, December 27, 2008

Day After Christmas No Bargain

Yesterday morning I was awakened by Mollie the dog at 9:30 a.m. I think she needed to go out, so I reluctantly got up and took her outside. My right side was really painful. I slept on it a little, so I figured it was my shoulder injury, and the pain was radiating. It almost felt like my back, stomach and everything was involved. I took Mollie out, went back inside and got my gift for the neighbor across the street who wasn't home on Christmas day. She said she was at the next door neighbor's watching Prince Caspian. Anyway, we chatted a while, and the pain wasn't subsiding at all. I went in and took a flexeril I had left from the car accident in May.

About an hour later, the pain was getting worse, and I threw up, repeatedly.

I'm thinking gallbladder. Personally I think I've had issues for a while, but nothing ever shows up. So, I was afraid they wouldn't figure out what was going on once again.

The doctor's office wasn't open, so Ed took me to the Emergency Room. I was moaning and crying by then and asking for somthing to get me out of pain. Now, I've had three children, 2 of them with no pain meds. I'd rather have a baby any day. It seemed an eternity before they put in an iv, determined it was likely gallbladder and gave me something for the pain. Then I had the lovely privlege of giving a urine sample via catheter (gratefully pain meds came first), and then was wheeled in for an ultrasound. I slept for a while, and I have no idea how long.

The doc finally came back in and told me the verdict - gallstones. I was almost surprised, but not at the same time. I wasn't surprised it was gallbladder, I was surprised that it showed up. He said that the stone had dropped down so the pain should be better, and sent me home with an instruction to avoid fat, and to call a surgeon in 4 days. I have a prescription for vicodin, but I'm afraid it will make me nauseous.

I've read that there can be some negative side effects from having a gallbladder removed, although I know two women who've had it done that were singing it's praises. I'm not sure I would have welcomed the surgery, but after yesterday, they can't yank that thing fast enough!

So, I know I need to eat something, and I'm afraid to. :( It's going to be a long 4 days.

Say a prayer for me. I feel like I've been hit by a Mack Truck today.



nna said...

many prayers, Melanie.
I hope you are feeling better soon.

Lauralee said...

Oh my, I hope you start to feel better. I will be praying for you as well.