Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Who Dunnit?




In my lifetime, I've probably read very few mysteries, although I've always been a fan of them. I love a good mystery, and used to love Nancy Drew growing up. So, imagine my delight at finding an old 1960 hardback copy of Murder on the Orient Express in a pile of books for the whopping sum of $.25. Of course, I snatched it up.
Agatha Christie was a favorite of my moms, and while I admit not having read any of her books, I've always enjoyed the movie adaptations.

So I sat down recently and at long last read an Agatha Christie book. After reading the first chapter, I was a little bit overwhelmed with a few of the French sayings of Hercule Peroit, not understanding any French. The reading was almost "too simple" otherwise, and I wondered if I was going to like the book after all especially sine this was the one story of hers where I clearly remembered the guilty party.

To my surprise, the story grew on me quickly, and I found myself a little bit enchanted by the mystery, and the character Hercule Peroit. Agatha Christie is brilliant when it comes to dialogue and once the background was laid, the story unfolds mostly through dialogue between the characters which is done brilliantly. In the end the clues which lead to the impossible all tie together in a mystery masterfully solved.

I did enjoy reading Murder on the Orient Express and would recommend it to keep you company on a dark and stormy night, or perhaps a long train ride home?

No comments: