Thursday, December 25, 2008

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas...


(Photo taken last winter in my front yard.)
I woke up to find that the weather reports were correct in predicting a 90% chance of snow today. It was snowing, and it snowed pretty good, but stopped after a few hours. I was singing, "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the one..." and then I hesitated since I was born and raised in Sacramento. I think in Sacramento it would snow and melt before it hit the ground about once every 5 years. I only really remember one white Christmas before moving to Northern Utah in 1999. So I chuckled and went about preparing our turkey dinner.

It's funny how traditions are sometimes. We didn't really follow them at all for
Thanksgiving this year, and ended up with ham and not so many trimmings because of a little miscommunication. LOL But Christmas, was a full blown, turkey with all the trimmings. My daughter came over to share it with us, so I basically cooked all day for an army of 3. :) But the food and company were good.

My daughter and her dad (aka my husband, Ed) were watching the ever popular Christmas movie C.H.U.D. (which I am told stands for "Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers.) I have a feeling I don't want to watch. LOL So, I took my Christmas gift over to the next door neighbors and they invited me in, and we chatted for a few, and she introduced me to all of the cats. The dogs and I are already acquainted. When I stepped outside my front door, it was raining. Wait, rain? What happened to the snow? Most of the snow was already off the sidewalks and what was left was reduced to slush. Just before I left the neighbors pointed out that it was snowing pretty good. I looked out at their back porch and it was already covered, and there were some pretty good-sized snowflakes fluttering to the ground. I finally excused myself and headed back home, and probably an inch of snow had already blanketed the sidewalks and the roadway.

I came back in the house and and reported my findings to my daughter and spouse and chatted a bit about the meaning of CHUD - and really exciting stuff like that. :) So she decided she'd better head back for home while she still could, so I loaded her up with leftovers before she headed out. She went out and unburied her car, and I cleared her headlights and she slowly drove off into the snowy night. Afterwards I ran across the street to greet my neighbor there, but alas, she didn't appear to be home. I was soaked. LOL

My daughter brought me a nice warm pair of fuzzy slippers and pjs. I think I'll wear them shortly and sip on some hot apple cider. It will be a good, warm ending to my usual, but rather unusual Christmas day.

Hope you all had a very, Merry Christmas! :)

God's blessings, Melanie

P.S. If you have a Xanga account, please check this out. I really enjoyed it and hope you will as well: http://weblog.xanga.com/emprise34/686961288/christmas-gets-a-bad-wrap.html

You might be able to read it without Xanga, just not certain.

No comments: