Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving thankgivings and other things

It's been a strange an interesting day.

First of all, I messaged my youngset daughter to see if she had reached at her sisters place in Phoenix. She left yesterday morning and never texted back to say she had arrived. She texted me back saying she wasn't there yet, and that she was about a half an hour away. We live 12 hours from Phoenix. It had been more than 24 hours. See, when I first sent her the message, I was really being somewhat facetious. I told her that I was sure she had arrived safely as I hadn't received any panicky calls from her sister. Silly me. LOL As it turned out, the weather was bad, she took a longer route to avoid snow and instead ran into fog and pulled over to sleep until the fog lifted. So she did arrive safe and sound at 1:55 p.m. This reminds me why I don't normally drive out of state in the winter months.

Anyway, my Thanksgiving plans were to have Thanksgiving dinner at church. The last few years we have done this and I have enjoyed it. My husband isn't terribly social, but he comes, stays for the dinner and leaves. Then I laugh myself silly as the rest of the group plots their Black Friday shopping. Last year, I found out about a $99 Zune, and I was actually able to get one without any bloodshed (thanks to Office Max who ran the thing quite smoothly!)

So, I signed up to bring a ham. I went to Wal Mart to get a spiral-sliced ham, and came away with a very expensive ham ($3.97 per pound) as it was pretty much all they had that came even close to what I was looking for. I got up today to fix it, and managed to get everything ready in a somewhat timely fashion. I thought we were supposed to be there at 3p.m. but hadn't heard anything, so I took my time and got there just a little bit later. My husband followed behind me in his vehicle. The parking lot was bare. There wasn't a soul in sight! I didn't know what else to do besides drive home, so we did, my husband having a good laugh over the whole thing. So, now I have enough ham for a small army and no Thanksgiving dinner. I got home and called my daughter in Phoenix, and she was in a similar situation as Bethany's late arrival and the fact that they were picking someone up from the airport meant that they didn't have a real dinner plan either. That's when it would be nice to be closer. LOL

But as I pondered what to do, my husband said well, we can have ham and we should be thankful for what we have. He was, of course, quite right. So, I went through the kitchen and found a few potatoes to "bake" in the microwave, some mixed vegetables, and some sweet potatoes and made a meal of it. I was quite stuffed. While we ate, a Sara Lee cherry pie I'd previously forgotten about in the freezer was cooking.

All in all, a nice quiet and uneventful Thanksgiving day. Sometimes that is a blessing to be thankful for.

I hope your Thanksgiving was blessed. :)

No comments: