Saturday, August 30, 2008

One Nemesis among many....




nem·e·sis (nm-ss)
n. pl. nem·e·ses (-sz)
1. A source of harm or ruin: Uncritical trust is my nemesis.
2. Retributive justice in its execution or outcome: To follow the proposed course of action is to invite nemesis.
3. An opponent that cannot be beaten or overcome.
4. One that inflicts retribution or vengeance.
5. Nemesis Greek Mythology The goddess of retributive justice or vengeance

There are two things that I dearly love that are my nemesis, and both fall under def. #1. Both lead to gluttony, and give new meaning to the term, "glutton for punshiment." I guess some "sins" are self-correcting, or should be.

I love Circus Peanuts, especially if they are nice and fresh. However, I can't seem to stop eating them until I am nearly ill from the experience. This is why I don't buy them often. But tonight, at Wal Mart, they were calling my name, and the price screamed out only 97 cents... such a good deal. I ate half the 11 oz. bag. That's approx. 5-1/2 ozs. of nearly pure carbs, with just a bit of food coloring thrown in.

Here is the dietary breakdown (you were just dying to know, weren't you?)

Serving size, 4 pieces (if I would just stick to 4!) LOL

Calories, 140 (not so bad if you only eat 4. ;))
Total Fat, 0 (well, at least they aren't high fat. LOL)
No cholesterol, of course, that's only found in animal products.
Sodium 5 mg sounds good so far
Dietary Fiber, 0 (not so good)
Total Carbs, 35 g OUCH!!
Sugars 25 g
Protein less than 1 gm.

Multiply that by 4 and that's probably about what I had. No wonder I'm queasy!!

The other similar nemesis would be Candy Corn. Gratefully, I managed to ignore the $1.88 container full of those little gems.

And that, is why you should never go shopping while hungry AND, why self discipline is a good thing. LOL

--Melanie

2 comments:

Allison said...

I'm right there with you on the circus peanuts...and candy corn, ah! Try mixing it with dry roasted peanuts--if you want to be addicted forever. Loves it! They sell it at Cracker Barrel (not sure if you have those there) but it's called Nutty Korn. Of course, you can always make it yourself and it's probably much more affordable :) Thanks for making my salivary glands active...or no thanks!

Konstantin Monastyrsky said...

Well, you should only be happy Circus Peanuts has zero fiber, otherwise the harm would be so much more greater... For more info on this "controversy", please review my site: www.FiberMenace.com.