Saturday, November 28, 2009

Everyday should be Thanksgiving

I have a lot to be thankful for this year. I have met some amazing people, seen amazing shows, I have a job, a home, food to eat, a church I love, I've been happily married for 33 plus years, I have 3 grown children, a beautiful baby granddaughter, and another one who will be born any day now. I am thankful for many fond memories, and a crazy, but loving extended family. And if that isn't enough, I belong to a God who loves me and covers me with grace.

How can everyday not be thanksgiving?

Wednesday I was up somewhere between 8 and 8:30 a.m. to put the turkey in the oven. According to the temperature charge on the turkey bag, it would take 5-1/2 to 6 hours to cook the turkey. Then I noticed on the turkey bag, that the time for a 24 lb. turkey was 3-1/2 hrs. instead. Of course, I see this when it is out of the package, and ready to go. Timing would be tricky. So I figured out what I'd do when it was done when I didn't have to be at the church for Thanksgiving dinner until 4 p.m. I went back to sleep and woke up after about 3-1/2 hours to check on the turkey, which was definitely done cooking. I opted to keep it in the oven on warm and hoped it wouldn't dry out. Judging by the amount of juices in the bag, I figured it was a safe bet.

At 4 p.m. Ed and I arrived at the church. Others had already arrived before us, which is a good thing. :) We took the turkey, camera, etc. in and waited for my daughter to arrive. We had a very nice enjoyable dinner. I took quite a few pics.
The food was all pretty good. I ate carefully, but a little more than normal. There were a few really sweet, sweet potato dishes that were amazingly tasty. One of them was more like dessert, almost. I splurged with a little bit of apple pie. The nice thing was that there was a portion where most of the crust was gone, so it ended up probably being a little lower fat. I'm sure I exceeded my usual sugar levels by a good bit, though. Anyway, it was good food, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I was limiting myself. Bethany and Ed left not too long after dinner, and I was a little sad because I really wanted to see Avalyn a bit more. Jonnie, and Beryl read a few pieces on Squanto, and Thanksgiving from different perspectives, and I stayed and visited, took photos, and helped a little with clean-up.

Normally, after the event people have stayed and plotted Black Friday. IT's always been a good time. This year, though, people left a bit earlier, and I stayed while Jonnie made up a schedule of what opened when. The ads were all out on a table, so I looked through them a bit. Then I said my goodbyes to Pastor Mark and Jonnie, and headed for home.

When I got home, Bethany was still there, so I was able to see that sweet granddaughter of mine a little longer. I got to change her diaper.. lucky me. LOL
Then Bethany and I tried to decide what to do for Black Friday. We could neither one decide. I was supposed to call if I decided to go, but at 3 a.m., I still hadn't made a decision. I just worked on uploading and editing photos in the meantime.

I wanted only a couple of items from Black Friday sales, and they were in different places. As it turns out, Staples had a couple of things I wanted, but I didn't see their ad until I went through the e-mail later, so really late, I decided to just head over for Staples.

I arrived at Staples at about 4:30 a.m. En route, I noticed the huge line at Starbucks drive through and it made me laugh. Before I left I told Ed where I was going, and said I'd leave if there was a huge line. There were less than 20 people waiting, so I stayed. Sears was already open and it was just a hop, skip and a jump away, and a couple of gals held my place in line while I went over to take a peek. I must have looked rather ridiculous with my hoodie up around my head, and wearing a blanket. LOL (I had someone take a pic of me in my getup, but for some reason it didn't save.) :(

The only thing I found that I really wanted at Sears was this adorable dress for Avalyn that was only $9.60. So I bought it. So far, Sears is the only place I've seen some cute holiday dresses in the 0-3 mos. size. Then I went back and waited in line. I chatted lots with those around me and froze. It was rather chilly. At one point a guy in a van and his adorable little girl were selling hot chocolate. Later on, a Farmer's insurance rep. came by and gave out free chocolate with his bus. card. Clever people. LOL
Dress on the right was the one from Sears.. the other came from K-Mart:

At 6 a.m., the doors opened and the place was soon crowded. I found all of the items I had come for (an 8 gig CF card for $25, and a 4 gig CF cfd for $12.99, an AT&T cordless phone system with $15 instant rebate and $35 rebate, some CDR's and DVD-R's, etc.) I decided to kill time and wait for the neverending line to subside.
It wasn't happening, so I decided to bite the bullet and get in line, but not before I found a Universal Power Supply for $19.99 (didn't realize the $30 savings went to my Staples Card, though, until after I bought it, but still not a bad deal.) At one of the service counters, there was a sign to check out writing checks only, and hardly anyone was in it, so I wrote a check and escaped the huge line. $239, later, I left Staples and headed for home.

Before I even was able to catch any sleep, Bethany called, and wanted to go to Kohl's and K-Mart, which we did. She wanted an exercise bike for Christmas/birthday at K-mart, so I got it for her, and a few small items, including a dress for Jocelin who should be born any time now.

The line was long, but it wasn't too bad a wait. Then we fed Avalyn, and headed for Kohl's. I was able to get some warm sweaters in my size (that were not cardigans.) I haven't been able to find them anywhere. After Bethany and I finished shopping, we went to get in line. The line kept going, and going, and going.... and wound around the back of the store. By this time I hadn't eaten in a while, and it had been well over 24 hours since I'd had any sleep. I almost didn't make it and had to sit down a few times.
We finally made it through the line more than an hour later. Baby girl was starting to get kinda fussy, and so was I. LOL The checker was really nice, but not very fast. We made a bee line for the car. I told Bethany, that if I had found warm pull over sweaters anywhere else at all, I would have left the line. She said, "I probably would have let you." LOL
My KOHL's sweaters:

On the way back to my place, we stopped at Arby's and bought something for lunch and took it back to my place. We visited for a while, and after Bethany left, I just passed out on the couch.

I am really grateful for the things I was able to find on Black Friday, and I think Thanksgiving should be everyday, but praise God Black Friday comes but once a year! I have a feeling the retail staff agree about now. LOL

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day!

No comments: