Thursday, November 05, 2009

Denver or Bust, Part 1

Perhaps I should try and finish my Denver saga before I forget too many details.
I bet y'all thought I forgot!

After arriving home from Vegas late on Oct. 14, I set about finishing up my packing. I had to repack my camera, recharge batteries, make space on the cd flash card, etc. I had most things packed a week in advance, but had to repack and add a couple of items. I wanted everything to fit in a backpack with room to include my purse. It worked and everything fit. There were also last minute things (like laundry) to finish up before I headed for the airport. As it turned out, I would have ended up with 2 hours of sleep, so I just stayed up. I was definitely tired. I don't sleep on planes, so I hoped I would hold out for a bit of visiting before I crashed at my sister's place. My mom was supposed to be there, but it had snowed, so I hadn't heard if she actually made the trip. As it turned out, she and her husband Jim decided to fly out, and they were already in Denver. I was happy because I was able to get a window seat both directions, and I definitely prefer a window seat!!! I like looking out at the clouds, the mountains, and the groups of houses that all look like circuit boards or a game of monopoly (depending on how high we are flying at the time.) Mostly there were clouds and mountains for the flight. I did close my eyes and rest a few times, but never went to sleep. I did get water and pretzels for a snack. Exciting, huh? I did marvel at the clouds this trip. They were so thick in places that they looked a bit like whipped snow. I would have almost expected to be able to step out and walk on them. I took pics with my cell phone.

It was a somewhat short flight, so it wasn't too long before I was in Denver. Once I arrived, I had to figure out how to get to where I could be picked up. I saw a really cool airplane model inside the terminal and snapped a pic with my cell phone (is there a pattern here?)

I asked for directions and was directed to a train in the terminal. Once I got that far, I heard from my sister, and I told her where I would be so she could pick me up. After a short wait outside in the pick up area, my sister Stephanie and mom arrived to pick me up. Once we arrived at Stephanie's house, I was directed to my room and was told that I had the angel room. It was really a pretty room, and quite comfy, too.

Afterwards we all chatted a bit, and played ball with Charlie the wonder dog and tried to figure out how and when we would get a vegan birthday cake for Ethan Luck.

We called a place called the Leaf in Boulder, and made arrangements to pick up one of their vegan carrot cakes. Someone from my sister's workplace brought one in at a potluck once and she said it was the best carrot cake she'd ever had. After a bit we went out to eat at a place called Village Tavern (I think that was the name of it, anyway.) I couldn't really see anything low fat on the menu, so I opted for scallops, since I love them. When my meal arrived, any hopes of it being remotely fat free vanished. Large scallops on top of mashed potatoes and green beans and butter poured over everything. LOL It was yummy, though, and those were some of the best mashed potatoes I've ever had. Of course we took pics of each other... still wondering why I didn't take a pic of my meal. LOL
Stephanie & Randy:

Afterwards we picked up Ethan's cake, and stopped at Target to pick up a few things. Then we headed back to Stephanie's. I won't even swear to the order of things as I was so tired, they all just ran together.. even which day to some extent. At any rate, I finally got into some pj's, and was able to catch some sleep, as the 16th was Relient K day at the Ogden Theater, and I wanted to be there really early. At least that was the plan. I was also planning to meet Brittany and Megan there because they wanted to be really early as well.

But that will be day two, aka part two and this is day one, aka part one.

Peace out,

No comments: