Thursday, October 09, 2008

Million Voices Tour

Lights, camera, action... LOL

Tuesday I had a busy day planned. It was the day of the Million Voices Tour, and things had really gotten off to a slow start. I was working catering as I often do. I really do enjoy working catering for shows as it's a lot of fun. The plan was to start breakfast by 9 a.m. I was still waiting for the menu, as I wasn't the one making the plans, I was just helping out. The night before I found out that the person in charge wasn't going to be there until after noon, and that the shopping hadn't been done yet. I was planning to stop by Wal Mart in the morning, so I volunteered to shop. Eleanor sent me a grocery list. The plan was to leave at 7 a.m., but by the time I got things ready enough to do so (I wasn't feeling too great, so I wasn't really motivated), it was late and I figured I'd better have sleep, so I set my alarm for 6:30 a.m. and hoped I could get out quickly. Well.. the best laid plans... I got out of the house a little after 7:30 a.m. and headed for Wal Mart. I managed to get the shopping accomplished, except for ice cream, since I wasn't really too sure about it not melting before I made the 45 minute drive. It was a good thing I was parked close (God saved me a spot, I think. LOL) because I forgot my purse and ads for price matching, so I had to go back out and get them. By the time I drove out of Wal Mart it was almost 9 a.m.

About the time I set out on the road, I got a call from Eleanor and she was telling me she was just leaving. I figured we were in trouble, so I asked if anyone was there yet, and she said that Diana was there. Diana set up breakfast, fortunately, and I arrived to the venue about 9:35 a.m. and set about to unload. I had a little bit of help unloading, and things got put away. Then I started on the potatoes for the potato bar at lunch. (Exciting, huh?) Eleanor actually was able to help a little in the kitchen for lunch and put a lot of the toppings in small bowls while I chopped things up. Another helper (which I feel really bad about not recalling her name) made the soup. It was ready just almost exactly on time, which was pretty cool. Lunch was to stay out until about 2 p.m., so as the time neared we cleaned up and got ready to fix dinner. Lynne had arrived, so we set about to fix dinner. I ended up making a run to Albertson's for ice cream, ice cream toppings, ice, etc. I didn't feel like I helped with dinner as much as usual, I guess lunch was my meal this time around. LOL But I did fix up a great salad. LOL And I was able to help serve, which was a lot of fun.

At about 5 p.m., there was supposed to be an early entry for vip ticket holders and Question and Answer session with Barlowgirl, and I really wanted to go since I actually purchased a VIP ticket, but it was also the time they were supposed to start dinner. I wasn't sure how that would work. As it turned out, quite a few people who had purchased tickets were not there, so there was some concern that they may not have known about the early time (5 p.m.) so they pushed it back to 6 p.m. and the doors to 6:30 instead of 6. I only mention this because I know sometimes people are upset when doors open late, but sometimes there is a good reason. In this case, they were concerned about people, which was pretty cool. So, since they decided to delay the Q&A, I asked if they wanted dinner now, then, and I got a rather enthusiastic response. LOL So, they had dinner, I had something to eat, and
I was able to serve most of the time and still go to the session, so that was pretty cool. I met friends that I didn't know were coming (Gina, Brittny and RaNae.) That was a nice surprise. :) We had photos taken, and I went back to the kitchen to see what I could do until the show started.

Finally, it was time for the concert to begin, and I grabbed my camera and headed for the seat I picked out earlier in the day. Brooke Barrettsmith was just starting her set when I got to my seat. She really rocked it! I enjoyed her set quite a lot.
I took quite a few pics, but still not sure about what I got for her. I was still figuring out the lighting. Next it was time for Jimmy Needham to sing, and he did a great job. He had been sick, and except for one song where it seemed not quite as smooth, you would never have known. At the end his beautiful wife, Kelly, comes out and plays on the violin. I loved that part. I know I got a few got photos of her. :)

Then there was an intermission and a plea for Mercy Ministries, and set up for Barlowgirl began. I went back to the kitchen to see what, if anything, needed to be done. I put a few things away, but most of it was under control. So I went and checked out the merch booths and bought a few cd's, stickers, etc. I bought a program to benefit Mercy Ministries. (After the show, Maryann Barlow was just handing them out, so I ended up with two before I could even say much. LOL)

Soon it was time for the concert to start up again, and Barlowgirl arrived on stage.
My favorite part of the night was probably hearing Never Alone. I so totally love that song. It just gets me every time. The Barlow vocals are always so outstanding, too. Lauren did a few songs away from the drumset center stage, and was generally chatty and funny all night. She did her usual "preaching" which I always enjoy and she joked a lot about being the "baby" and getting her way. Their vocal harmonies are some of the best as well. Can you tell I enjoyed it? In the end, it was also a very moving concert. It gave me a chance to meet the person next to me and pray with her also. There were counselors there to pray with people as well, and I think there was a good response. I think after jumping up and down without a barricade to hang on to, I probably should have asked for prayer myself... am I getting too old for this? LOL

Afterwards, I went back to the kitchen again and did what I could to help clean up and put things away. All but a couple of dishes had already been washed and put away. I slowly gathered my things together.

Not too long into things, I ended up talking with the bass player for Brooke and Jimmy (he did double duty) and he wanted to upload all of my pics. I was nervous about that, because usually some of them are really bad, and I'm very picky, but he convinced me. LOL We had a long conversation about pictures, bands, diet, and other things, and he is supposed to be adding me to his myspace. I hope he does soon, because I forgot his (yes, I am embarassed.)

At one point I was able to see all the Barlow sisters together and we had a short conversation. They were very happy with the way things had gone and were very thankful and appreciative. This is the second time I have had the pleasure to serve them, and BOTH times, they were some of the nicest and most appreciative people around. I hope I get a chance to do so again soon. It was a real blessing.

Oh, and I should mention one other thing and that is prayer. There is only one other time where I felt things really had a sense of peace and calm about all day. The first was when Bebo Norman came and a few of us had really been in prayer all week. The other was Tuesday night when there was a call before the show for prayer, and I heard the Barlows and crew praying early in the day. It does make a huge difference. Everything doesn't necessarily go perfect, but the atmosphere is so different. I need to remember that ALWAYS!! God is the reason, and prayer matters.

As for prayer, I could use some. Between me running out of nexium on vacation and a mess up on the refills, I went some time without and had some acid reflux going on. It caused a little bit of respiratory irritation, and I ended up being sick. IT didn't seem like a cold or flu in the way it came on, so I was thinking allergies plus the irritation. At any rate, I think it has evolved into bronchitis. I'm trying to ride it out, as long as it keeps gradually improving, so all prayers are welcome.

Love, peace, great music, Robitussin and Throat Coat Tea... (seeing how long I can extend this list out. hahaha)



Anonymous said...

I LOVE BarlowGirl but I wish they would research what they are supporting a little better.

Mercy Ministries isn't a legit treatment centre. They're being investigated for abuse and taking their clients welfare payments. A lot of former clients have alleged abuse, and former staff members have come forward to confirm the allegations.

Somebody needs to make BarlowGirl aware so they can raise money for a legit organisation.

lexidoodleellis said...

nice photos!

and yes. i have been to austria.

i took that picture on my blog while i was there.

it was two years ago.... oct 06

Andrea said...

You take the most amazing pics in the whole world!