Sunday, January 13, 2008

Song of Solomon and Other True Tales







Yesterday was a rather slow day. I was determined to catch up on sleep, although I didn't want to sleep too late as I need time to shower, dress, get my camera gear in order and head over to see Bryan Magana at 6 p.m. I didn't sleep quite as long as I had hoped and woke up more than an hour before my alarm clock went off. I went to sleep at 5:30 a.m. I woke sometime between 12:15 and 12:30 p.m. At least it was almost 7 hours. I was tired, but not really sleeping and the dogs needed out of their crate so I just got out of bed and started the day. It took me a long time to fully wake up, though. I was able to work on cleaning out the refrigerator, fold a few clothes, and still be ready in plenty of time. Ed came home and I made him listen to a little of the music and we chatted a little. I took my shower, dressed and it was 4 p.m. by the time I sat down to put on my shoes. I wasn't rushing. I decided to leave between 4:30 and 5 p.m. because I needed to get gas and some cash to purchase a cd before I left. Just before I went out the door, I decided to check the church website before I left. Even though I was fairly certain that I had been there before, I wanted to double check that I wasn't thinking of the wrong place. I've done things like that in the past, and there is nothing like going to an event and not even being at the right place. As it turned out, I did have the right place, but the church site listed the concert date as Jan. 11. I tried to call the church, but since there was no answer I just took my chances. I was certain Bryan had told me the 12th, which was also the date on his myspace. So, I headed out the door, put some benzene in the car, stopped at Smith's briefly and headed for the church. Out of habit, I turned onto the wrong street and had to turn around and backtrack. So, it's probably a really good thing I left early. LOL Still, I made it to the church about 5:30 p.m. and there were a few cars there. I took that as a good sign. I walked around the building and tried a door or two. I started to walk back to my car and someone beckoned me to go ahead and come inside. I told him I needed to get something out of my car and I would be right there. I went back and grabbed my camera and gear and went into the church. Bryan was waiting at the door and greeted me by name. It was nice that he remembered who I was. Of course, posting messages on his myspace probably didn't hurt. ;) But it was still really nice to be greeted by name. We chatted a bit and then he went to greet other people who were slowly starting to arrive. I picked out a spot in the front row where I thought I might be able to see Bryan behind the keyboards. The closest person to me at first was 5 rows back. I finally went up and introduced myself and had a nice conversation for a bit. Then I went back up to my seat. I was the only person in the center front row. It was odd, but worked out well as I was able to move once or twice to take a photo without bothering anyone. I tried not to take too many pics as the camera seemed so loud. Later Bryan told me that he saw me taking pics, but he couldn't hear it. That was a relief. I was sure everyone in the place could hear it loud and clear.

Bryan's music is not raucous or loud. It's just beautiful, though. He has a very pleasing voice and the melodies have almost an ethereal feel to them. I find them very peaceful. The concert started off with prayer, which was as it should have been, and then we sang a few familiar songs along with him before he went into his original compositions. The majority of the songs were from his new cd, Song of Solomon. He did sing "My Story" which I absolutely loved. The concept of God writing "my story" was one that meant a lot and I really cherished the thought. You know, sometimes I try to stick my own lines into the story, and I need to just give the pen back to God (and hope the ink is eraseable some days.) LOL At the end of the concert we again sang along to an old hymn, beautfully done, I might add.

Afterwards I had a short chat with Bryan and went over and bought Song of Solomon as I had planned, but also picked up the cd with "My Story" on it. I am putting it on my Zune even now. I was able to meet Sarah who sang with Bryan on one of the songs (she has a really pretty voice, I might add) which was a real pleasure.

I had a very nice evening and I know it will help me to keep things in focus for the next week -- at least that's the plan. :)

God's blessings,

Melanie

No comments: