Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I Love ...

I love words....

And why not? I love people and if one loves people, it helps to be able to communicate does it not? I've always been reasonably good with vocabulary, and for a long time it was something that came quite naturally.

Lately, however, I've noticed myself in a bit of a rut. When I go to see a band and I am really impressed with their show, I am most apt to say it was "amazing" or "awesome". Now, I'm not alone in this. It seems to be rather common, or so it appears to me. It's so common in fact that when I used a different term to describe a recent concert someone commented that there was a whole thread without the two "a" words. The surprising thing is that I knew exactly which two words the post was referring to. This set of a chain reaction in me. Everytime I use the "a" words now, I am keenly aware of it; and I have to admit that I was using them quite a lot.

So, how to change? I went to www.dictionary.com and then to the Thesarus. The Thesarus is really a cool tool. (Hey, that rhymes.) :) First I looked up "awesome" and I pulled from it the synonyms that seemed to fit with a description of an "awesome concert". There were so many good words to choose from: astonishing, impressive, magnificent, mind-blowing, moving, wonderful, stupefying, wondrous.

Directly underneath that entry is the adjective, "amazing" (the other "a" word, of course) and again, some magnificent and "amazing" synonyms such as unbelievable, incredible, wonderful, stunning ...

followed by:

breathtaking OR astonishing, exciting, spine-tingling, thrilling, heart-stirring

then there is marvelou OR incomprehensible, extraordinary, incredible, stupendous.

SO, if you ever see a particularly incredible show from now on, there is no shortage of words to relay the experience to others. Have fun. I know I will.

Oh, and if you really want to see something truly amazing (oh well, old habits die hard), check out Mute Math tonight on Jimmy Kimmel. I don't think it's on most places yet. It will be breathtaking, astonishing and stupendous, all rolled into one. You won't be disappointed. :)

Back to watching the Time Machine. LOL

Peace Out,
Melanie

1 comment:

AE said...

oh oh oh. I've been noticing i lack of words for stuff like that ! And I too, use the "a" words way too much. That helped to enrich my vocab! thanx!