Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Family, Life and Love


It's been a long week and at times very bitter sweet. I have had the opportunity to see my family and all of my siblings together at the same time, which is a rare occurence. There are 6 of us altogether, and I am the oldest of the whole crazy bunch. I saw my son, who I don't get to see to terribly often, either. My mom and dad (who have been divorced since I was 19) were there as well. So, I was so grateful to get to see everyone.
I'm not really sure how much to share on a myspace blog. Suffice it to say that my step dad is not doing well, and is home with hospice care. He and my mom renewed their vows because it was something he wanted. It was supposed to happen at the end of August, but there were concerns that it would be too late, so it was moved to July 1. My mom flew everyone who lived further away out to be there, and that included me. I left Saturday morning after working until 1 a.m. and then came back Monday with plans to work at 4:30 p.m. as usual. I was pretty tired to say the least.
I tried to work, but it wasn't going well. I kept falling asleep while trying to type, then I'd have to recheck the document because I couldn't even recall what I had typed. It wasn't good. Then I was having intestinal problems as well. I came home about halfway through the night, and tried to sleep. At about 12:30 a.m., I woke up sick. So now I'm trying to figure out if I've recovered enough to go back to work, but I know it isn't going to look good if I stay home just before the holiday. :( I'll probably go in.
Anyway, it was an interesting weekend. All but a few of my nieces and nephews are pretty much grown up now and some have thier own families. I was able to see some of the kids I haven't seen in a while, or have never seen. It's something I really hate missing. Kids grow up so very fast.
My family is a bit of a microcosm of the whole of mankind, I think. We have every sort of person, trial, and joy all balled into one. I think it's because there are so many of us. We are having to watch someone die, my niece wasn't able to be there because she had a baby girl, two babies are growing and waiting to make their appearance - life and death, liberals, conservatives, people celebrating 30 plus years together, some divorced, single moms, single with no children, and married with kids. And we all love each other. As my step dad said in one of his more lucid moments... loving each other is what's important.
Tell someone you love them today. The day goes by too quickly.
--Melanie

No comments: