Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Death Cab for Cutie

My intention was to arise bright and early and head out to Thanksgiving Point and arrive there sometime around 9-10 a.m. on Monday. As it turned out, it was 3 a.m., and I wasn't asleep yet, and I wanted enough rest to make the hour plus drive to Lehi. My daugther was going to take me, but as it turned out, my husband took me to her, and she let me use her car. That probably added a good 1/2 hour to my traveling time altogether. So what started out as trying to make it by 10 a.m. turned into being happy if I could get there by noon. I decided in advance not to stress over time this time around and trust God on that one.

I made it to my daughter's place, spent a few minutes paying attention to her dogs, and chatting, stopped at the gas station down the street to put gas in her car, called her to find out how to open the gas cap cover, filled up and headed down the road. Along the way the street was lined with flags, a visible reminder that it was Memorial Day. I wondered about the etiquette of flags in the rain, but they did appear to be plastic, so I suppose no harm done. LOL It was still quite a site. :)

I finally made it on the freeway, and made pretty good time getting to Thanksgiving Point even if I wasn't really driving all that fast. At one point I hit the emergency flashers and had to figure out what I touched to set them off. I'm quite sure the guy behind me was rather puzzled. LOL At any rate, I made it there in one piece just around noon. There were already a few people waiting, 4 gals who had been there since 5 or 6 a.m., and 4 other gals who were sitting in chairs covered with blankets and an umbrella. AN umbrella would have been smart since we were to be rained on, hailed on and standing in the wind. Thunder and lightening had me a tad concerned at one point as it was the one thing with the potential to cancel the show. And my motto is the show must go on? LOL It was to be a very long wait, on a cool rainy day to see Death Cab for Cutie and Tegan and Sara at an outdoor venue.

As it turned out there were technical difficulties (sound problems we were told) that delayed the opening from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. As a result the opening band, Rogue Wave was cut from the show. There was a 10 p.m. curfew. I really felt rather bad for them even though I'd never heard them before as I know the merch sales after a show are probably their bread and butter. So, unheard, I bought one of their cd's after the show... but I"m getting ahead of myself. LOL

To add insult to injury (if you know me) I had to take my camera back to my car as they said no cameras were allowed. Phones were o.k. Several people did get in with cameras and no one said anything at the stage even in the front row. But I just had to be satisfied with cell phone pics. But it's better than nothing. :)

At any rate, once I was inside the gate I found it was a very long run to the stage. And even though the gals in front of me were inside the venue waiting in the restroom (one of the workers let them in) and I was in the front of the line and was one of only two people who were checked before the gates open, I barely made it to the front row. Me and two of the 6 o'clock gals who were next to me could not figure out where the other people came from. But I was happy... front to the left just in front of Ben. Not too bad, I'd say. :) I was a tad apprehensive about being pushed hard after the accident and prayed about it and two bigger guys were behind me and they pretty much took the brunt of everything, so I had it pretty easy most of the show. I said I probably owed them dinner or something. :)

As for the concert, Tegan and Sara weren't bad, although I wasn't blown away I did like their set just fine. I had heard they were good live and "stand up" comedienne's onstage, but they didn't have a lot of time for banter. They did manage a little, though. After they were through I managed to get a set list.

Finally, it was time for Death Cab for Cutie. I recognized the guy managing the stage from previous shows and noted that he'd been with them for quite a while. He rather reminds me of Ben, too, although they look more alike when they both were wearing frames. LOL I guess one can't get away from noticing the changes band members make when you see them only once a year. Anyway, they apologized for the wait and played quite a long set which, of course, I didn't mind at all. :) They played When Soul Meets Body, I Will Follow You Into the Dark (with audience accompaniment), A Movie Script Ending (Highway), Crooked Teeth, I Will Possess Your Heart (with Intro) and quite a few others. Death Cab's stage presentation has become progressively better since the first time I saw them a few years ago. At one point Ben held up his guitar "rock star style" straight up and said he was just used to playing it I guess the "normal" ?? way? and said he needed to practice it but probably on their time because it looked cooler. Everyone laughed. After the last song the applause and chants started for "encore" and "one more song". Ben came out and said they would have to make it quick because they would all turn into pumpkins or something or other at 10 p.m. due to a curfew. Then they pretty much played right up to the limit. It was really a good set overall.

I tried to get a set list but was told there was none, even though I could have sworn I saw them tape paper down. So, maybe the took them with them? LOL Two of the security guys really tried for me, though, so that was cool.

Anyway, I tried to look for a key someone lost, to no avail, and I left when I didn't see her anymore. Then I headed for the merch table and bought one of DCFC's cd's that I didn't have (Something About Airplanes) and a tee, and the Rogue Wave cd and headed for the car. I took one look at the traffic and decided to wait a bit. I walked over to the farm just to look and saw a llama in the dark, and smelled farm smells, took a phone call from someone and finally headed for home. My daughter decided she had a friend that could bring her to pick up her car in the a.m., so that saved me an extra trip.

So, now I'm home, up way to late, and very tired. I think I'll put the dogs in their crates and catch some sleep.

I still intend to blog about meeting Ernie finally, I'm just waiting til I can get the pics up to accompany it. Hopefully I can do that this week.

And please, don't forget the Chapman family in your prayers. There's also a Prayer for the Chapman's group on facebook. I'll add the link later once I look it up.

Have a great week,
Peace out,


AJ said...

very cool for many reasons:

1) you are super brave chica for getting behind the wheel again! :)

2) you love death cab & so do I

3) you love Ben & so do I :)

4) you take great pictures! even with a camera phone! (and that would be why YOU are the photographer & i'm not! hee! hee! :))
love to ya girlie!

Andrea said...

great pics! so cool you had enjoyed he show. Im not a huge fan of theirs but ive heard lots about them. I should check them out!
and yes they definitely are in my prayers.