Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Good Times



Monday was a normal day, so was Tuesday - get up too late, barely make it to work on time. Work, go home. The main difference was that the days have actually been somewhat nice this week. Wednesday was my long day. I got up early, made it to work at 10 a.m. instead of my usual 4:30 p.m. and worked until 2 p.m. Then I headed for Salt Lake City to see We Shot the Moon, John Allred and Camera Can't Lie. On the way I made a few stops, one to get gasoline, at Smith's to get some Throat Coat Tea and other items, at Wendy's to get a chicken go wrap, etc. I made it to Salt Lake a few minutes before 4 p.m., I think. I didn't check right away. I listened to my cd player in the car, and saw one of the band's drive past the venue. Since no one else was really around, I decided to find a restroom and do what one does in restrooms. As I started walking I spotted Starbucks and decided that would be a good place to go.

Once I walked to Starbuck's and went in side I saw 4 guys all sitting/standing around a single laptop computer. I chuckled quietly and thought it must be the opening band. I mean how often do you see 4 guys gathered around a single laptop unless it's a band. LOL

So, I made a purchase at Starbucks, used their facilites, and walked back to the venue. After a few minutes I decided to walk around the back and see if I could
see anyone. I had a few gifts to hand out, especially one for Jason of WSTM. LOL

When I arrived at the back I saw John Allred and he invited me in. I just hung around and chatted with a few people and bought one of Jon's tees. Just before WSTM started sound check I told Jason I had something for him. He had been making comments on his facebook, and a few times mentioned being worried about running out of tp, so I gave him some toilet paper (and a couple of nicer things.) Everyone laughed. Then I waited, chatted with John, Shane, Jon, Jason, et al. Jon told me how much he loved Camera Can't Lie and said they were really good.At one point someone asked about Camera Can't Lie's whereabouts, and I mentioned that they were probably at Starbucks and laughed. Amanda showed up a bit later and we chatted for a good, long while. Anyway, the afternoon passed and I had a wonderful time waiting and listening to sound check.

Finally the show was starting and I went up to the front with my camera and took lots of pics, clapped my hands, sang along and really enjoyed myself. I had to agree with Jon as Camera Can't Lie was really good, although I think the vocals could have been just a tad louder. I was having a bit of a tough time with the lighting and kept having issues for a while. Finally about halfway through WSTM's set I realized I had the ISO set at 200. That explained a lot. It's funny that I had recently told myself I would check that. I have done this on at least two other occasions, and it's really not a good idea. LOL On the bright side, there is less color noise on ISO 200, and I shot RAW, so I was able to salvage quite a few. The shutter speeds could have been a tad faster on a higher ISO, though, so clarity could have been better. I still had fun, and have something to show for it as well, so I can't complain too much. (Sorry for all the technical details if you aren't the least bit interested in such things.) LOL









Anyway, too soon the show was over, and I chatted some more and bought an ep from Camera Can't Lie. Trevor took a photo of Jason and I with his "gift."

Then I made the drive back towards work. I was to work 2 hours after the show (1 a.m.-3 a.m.) but since I made it back by 12:15 a.m. I only had to work until 2:15 a.m. IT was a good thing. I barely made it. Needless to say, I went out pretty quickly once I hit the sack. IT was worth every minute. :)

To sleep, perchance to dream...

Sweet dreams, all.

--Melanie

No comments: