Thursday, April 16, 2009

Superchick = Superfun

April 14 was Superchick Day. Those that made the trek out to see Superchick in Salt Lake City Tuesday have no idea how close it came to being cancelled. The band had bus issues and ended up leaving a day late. With 2 bus drivers they managed to make the 24+ hour drive arriving just 3 hours before show time, and pretty famished from not having had "real food" for a couple of days. I personally want to thank the bus drivers. I'm not sure I was able to meet them, but they were awesome for getting the band to us.

We knew ahead that the band would probably not arrive until about 2-3 p.m. I was secretly predicting 4 and hoping it would be earlier. We decided to meet early anyway and I arrived at the venue at 10:22 in the morning and began unloading.
Just about the time I arrived I spotted Liz and she helped me unload. Then I set about trying to find the coffee. I never did find it. It did finally show up later, but we used some of Calvary's coffee for the first pot at least. Calvary Chapel Salt Lake City has some of the best, most giving staff I have ever met. They truly see everything they have as God's and always share freely. For that I am eternally grateful. I know this is how it is supposed to be, and how it isn't far too often.

Anyway, we set about fixing lunch, and had plans to fix a lunch/dinner combo. In the end, with the band to arrive at 3, we just fed some of the volunteers some of the salad, tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup. We saved out the rest of the salad, a fruit tray, and vegetable tray, and lemon/pepper chicken for dinner. While we waited for people to arrive, we started preparing dinner, finishing touches on the roast, seasoned baked chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, corn, peas. There was lots of food. Everything turned out very well!

David was first to arrive as he flew in (someone even made the obligatory joke later in the evening about his arms being tired. LOL). A while later we finally heard that the band had arrived and we took care of feeding them as they made their way in.
Some had plates taken to them as they worked like mad to get everything ready in time for the doors to open at 6. Since it was raining it was decided that everyone would be wristbanded and let into the merch area later, which took a small bit of rearranging. I had come out to the merch area to find out if I could get a seat and get approval for my camera and was drafted to put on wristbands for a bit. It soon became apparent that the ticket takers were only going fast enough for two of us to stay busy, so I bowed out and went back to the kitchen.

Before long the show was starting so I finished helping a little, by putting some things away, and then went to see the show and take photos. First was Tal & Acacia sang for us. There were a lot of comments throughout the night about how fun it was having 2 sets of sisters on the tour. They are beautiful girls and I thoroughly enjoyed their set.

Then Rachel Hockett spoke. She talked about her struggles with being a people pleaser as a result of things she experienced, and eventually an eating disorder and about letting go of the things that hold you in bondage, the things you think you can control, that control you (my paraphrase and take on it, anyway.) She is an engaging speaker, and a sweetheart of a person.

Afterwards, there was a video about Melissa's trip to Uganda to visit her 2 children sponsored through Compassion International. You could tell how much the trip meant to her and how much she thought of Compassion. Then I went back into the kitchen and tried to help out a bit and went back out as Tal and Acacia were singing one song before Superchick took the stage. First off Trisha had everyone in the Gold Circle seating come forward, and stand next to the stage. Then they fun began. There were some children up by the stage to the right and they were having a blast. This one little boy was jumping up and down, dancing and just having a great time. He was a crack up.. and cute. LOL I stood next to him for a bit and took some pics and finally went to the other side of the stage and took photos there and enjoyed the show. IT really was a lot of fun. Some of the highlights were Matt's challenge with the audience to a dance off (and I'm sure a certain little boy spurred that one on by his exuberance), Trisha talking about Matt's sweat, etc., and joking about the things that come up on stage when one is in front of an audience, and hearing Stand In the Rain performed live. It's such an amazing song.

Anyway, the concert ended and there was an autograph signing. They tried to do paw prints of Trisha's dog, but it didn't work. It was a cute idea, though. I went over to the merch tables and bought a few things, took a few photos, had a photo taken with Tal & Acacia and Rachel, etc. Then I went over to have a pic taken with Superchick. They were so nice about everything and took the time to talk to people, including me... being my usual chatty self.

Then clean up began in earnest. A lot had already been done, so mostly it was just sorting through everything, loading, chatting, etc. There was a mix up with my coolers being accidentally loaded into other vehicles, which was semi-amusing, and finally I went to put the last cooler away and my car floor on the driver's side was full of water. Good thing I didn't put my camera down there (I almost did) so I drove home with a big puddle on the back floor, which leaked up to the front. What a mess!

I finally arrived home shortly after midnight, and was one tired individual.

God's blessings,

No comments: