Saturday, July 19, 2008

Book Review No. 2

Scientific Facts in the Bible by Ray Comfort.
100 Reasons to Believe the Bible is Supernatural in Origin

I ran across this book last time I put in a book order at Amazon.com because I thought it would be a fun, quick read, and in that sense I was definitely not disappointed with Ray Comfort's book.

Scientific Facts in the Bible is divided into topics by chapters. A lot of what is contained in the book are the citations of others, some I recognized, although many I did not. The design and layout make this book ideal to read when you just have small snippets of time. I found it an excellent book to read on my breaks at work.

As an in depth treatise on the topic of scientific facts in the Bible, the book does only a fair job. I doubt that it would convince a hard core, well educated athiest, for instance. There are some flaws in a few of the examples, but others were really good and thought provoking. There is a chapter of citations from men in history that didn't really fit in with the "science" theme, but I found them interesting just the same.

Overall, I found reading this book somewhat encouraging. I don't think I would use it to "prove" anything, but I can see using some of the examples and citations as a kick of point for further study.

The end of the book basically is written as an invitation. We're all invited. I wonder what your RSVP will say. :)

No comments: