Monday, September 14, 2009

Not My Usual Week

So, I've been busy this week. I have accomplished a few things, though not sure how long they will last. I had plans, which were somewhat waylaid, which is good and bad, I suppose. I choose to think that things work out as they are supposed to work out in the end.

Originally my plan for Friday revolved around heading out to Salt Lake City to see Matthew West. There was a free concert and Nick Vujicic was speaking. I had a few people tell me about Nick not too long ago. I also had a ticket to hear Nick at the Mormon Tabernacle on Sunday evening. About 5 years ago, an organization called Standing Together organized a three-day event and brought Ravi Zacharias to town, and one of those nights he spoke at the Mormon Tabernacle (as well as two colleges), and I was at two out of three of those events as well. This was a rather historic event as Ravi Zacharias was the first evangelical Christian to speak at the Mormon Tabernacle since D.L. Moody 100 years prior. Now, Nick Vujicic was to speak there on September 13. Standing Together arranged for this event as well.

Sometime last week, my mom called me and said she wanted to come out to see Avalyn on the 10th or 11th. I said, O.K., and didn't even think about the date. I just mentioned that I did have plans for the 13th. Then I do think I said something about the 11th a day or so later, but can't recall exactly when. I had hoped she might come with me, but she didn't seem at all interested. I still had hoped to go, if the timing worked out. My mom arrived on the 10th. I figured that we would have some time together, and to visit with Avalyn earlier in the day, but by the time we all got together it was already after 2 p.m. The doors opened at 5:30 p.m. So instead of heading for SLC and waiting in line, I ordered pizza and waited for pizza. I really hated missing Matthew as I worked hospitality for his show a few years back, and I just thought he was one of the sweetest people. I so wanted to get a chance to see him and even just say "hello" again. But it wasn't to be. But I did have a good visit with my mom, my daughter, and Avalyn, and that's a very good thing. :) Here are a few pics:

The next day, we got off to a late start again, and I was online checking out facebook waiting. Josie posted a note about going to Peach Days in Brigham City, and I know my mom likes festivals of that sort, generally speaking, so I suggested it. We were already planning on heading to my daughter's which wasn't too far out of the way or anything, so we decided to go. Bethany didn't really want to go, so we planned to see her on the way back. We managed to find the festival o.k. without getting lost. When we arrived, we saw some guys dressed as gunfighters, etc., and asked them if they were performing. They were just there for the parade earlier in the day, but one of the guys had all sorts of Indian woodwinds, some or all of which he made himself, and he demonstrated them all for us. It was pretty cool. :) Then I asked if they knew about the shuttle and they told us it was just the UTA (buses, basically) and we were able to catch one rather quickly.

The shuttle dropped us off at the car show, and it was probably one of the largest car shows we had ever seen. This was good, though, as my mom and her husband, Jim, like old cars, trucks and motorcycles. :) My mom found her first car there from 1936, and she was pretty excited about it. :) We spent quite a bit of time looking at the cars as there were hundreds, and I took a lot of photos. There was even a section on Corvettes, so I took a few pics for my husband. They were all older vehicles than his, although I did see one that looked like his 1990 vette back at the parking lot. LOL We also saw a couple of Edsels, and a Model A or two.

It was already getting a bit late, so we hopped back on the shuttle. We weren't going to stop again, but decided that we would find the peach cobbler with ice cream, especially since Jim was really set on it after discussing it with someone on the bus. When we got off the bus and saw quite a few booths, and spied one selling peach cobbler with ice cream. We also saw some small cars that were being raced around the track, so I took pics. They would have to jump a small "wall" as part of the track, so I spent a few minutes trying to capture one at the right moment. I got a few pics from it. Then my mom and Jim got their cobbler with ice cream, and I bought some peaches and no sugar peach jam (that looked a little syrupy, once I checked it out.) Then we hopped back on the shuttle and headed for the lot.

After we left the Peach Festival (we really didn't see that many peaches), we called Bethany and headed for her place. I showed my mom the baby's room and wardrobe, and then we decided where we would go for dinner. We decided on Sizzler's (even though it's not Bethany's favorite place.) And she was going to join us after she fed the baby. Everything worked out and we had a dinner at Sizzler's. Bethany's old boss came in and she hadn't seen Avalyn, so she was able to get a look at her.

After dinner, we all headed for my place. We visited a little while and then went out and took pictures before we lost all the light. Avalyn was a bit fussy, so they weren't as sharp as I like (and I can be picky about that at times) with slow shutter speeds, but we did get some good, passable shots. We have a few pics with 4 generations (My mom, me, Bethany and Avalyn) to show for it as well. Afterwards, my mom, Bethany and I went to Babies R Us, and I spent too much on diapers and outfits that were on sale for Avalyn, and a really cute pair of shorts for Deidre's baby when she arrives. Then we went to Hancock Fabrics and picked up some of the fusing for hems so my mom could help me hem my pants so I'd have something to wear.

Then we came back, and all headed for our places for the night.
My mom's travelling home now:

So, it was a long day, but a pretty good one.

Sunday morning, I had my alarm set for 6 a.m. so I could see my mom off. I went over to Wal Mart first to see if I could find a pretty dress for my sister's granddaughter, but they didn't have much, so that was a bust. I headed over for Smith's who was gracious enough to allow my mom to park her "house" there for a couple of days. I stayed around and visited until they were ready to leave.

Then I came home, had breakfast and headed for church. I was pretty sleepy, but the service was really amazing. Pastor Mark is teaching out of 1 Peter, and it touched a lot on relationships and fellowship amoung other things. It really dove-tailed into things I had been discussing with someone via text the night before.

After church, I visited a bit, and then headed home. I made lunch and then took a nap so I would be able to make it to SLC. I left the house around 4 p.m. and made pretty good time, had no trouble at all finding a parking place, and was not to terribly far back in the entry line. I spent time talking to one or two people until the doors opened. I headed in and thought I'd probably be sitting in about row 5 or 6, but I noticed that the rows weren't really filling up. I kept walking and saw space in Row 1, so I asked if it was being saved or reserved and it wasn't, so I sat down in the front row. I really wished I could have had my camera just simply because the pipe organ with the magenta lighting behind it is very strikingly beautiful. I imagine it would be a great photo. (We weren't supposed to have cameras, although some people did.) I saw someone carry Nick in not too long after I was seated. The place slowly but surely began to fill up until it was pretty full.
There were people across the street in an overflow area, even. There was still room next to me, so one of the LDS greeters there asked me if it was taken, and it wasn't so a guy from West Valley sat down next to me. I talked to him a little, off and on.
Finally, the event started with opening thank yous. Evan Wickham led the crowd in worship, and let me tell you he is very talented. After the worship music, a gal from Draper sang (I think her name was Angela) and she had an unbelievable voice. She did a really interesting and pretty rendition of Amazing Grace, among other things.

After the music, it was time for Nick to speak. IT's funny, but I think the things he had to say really did tie in with the whole day and week for me, including the things Pastor Mark had taught on earlier in the day. I was extraordinarly moved many times during the night. I laughed, and I cried. I hope I won't ever be the same. God is good.

Afterwards, Nick wanted to hug people who stood up after praying with him, and even though I said a prayer with him, I didn't exactly pray for salvation, so I stayed back, as much as I would have loved a hug. I ended up talking to a young lady named Kelly for a bit. So, we decided to hug each other instead. :) Just as Kelly was leaving and I was getting ready to leave, I saw Gideon. I had watched a video of Gideon (Gideon was also born w/o arms) with Nick the day before, and I was so moved. I wanted to tell him, so I went over and said, "hello" just before he left. I made it a little awkward, I think. He probably thinks I'm a tad weird. LOL He has this most amazing smile, though. He introduced me to his brother and helper. I asked him about skateboarding and if he did tricks. He almost has a trick down. I figure next year he'll probably be amazing us all. :) Shoot, he already is amazing me. I'm lucky not to fall off and kill myself, so he's better than I am already. LOL

So, I started to head out again and saw a couple of couples from church, and walked out with them. I thought I knew where I was going, but I was on the other side of the Tabernacle, so I ended up walking back around the premises. Along the way, I decided to take out my cell phone and make a little space so I could take a pic of the tabernacle. It looks like a fairy tale from the outside, especially all lit up at night.

Then I found my car, and headed for home. I ate, uploaded some pics, fed the dogs and crashed. I was definitely tired, but happy. Tired, but good is my normal state of affairs. LOL IT's what I usually say when people ask me how I am doing. It's been an unusual week, but a good one.

God's blessings on your week, especially if you made it through another one of my mini novels. ;)

Peace out,

No comments: