Sunday, July 19, 2009


This has been a very busy weekend indeed! Friday evening I went over to a park near my house since I found out that John Allred was playing a show there via his facebook. I was kind of excited about it since the show could not have been any closer unless it was in my back yard. LOL My husband dropped me off at the park and went home to just take it easy. I was planning to walk, but since I had all my camera gear and it was probably 90 degress out, the ride seemed like a pretty good idea.

Just as I got to the park, I spotted a booth for Life Community Church and started a converstation. I had flyers for the Kutless show on the 28th and they agree to put them out for me. That was pretty cool. :)

Once the flyers were in place, I looked for a shady spot to sit down and organize, and as I went to sit down I noticed that John was sitting in the shade under a small awning. I really didn't know it was him at first which was kind of funny. So we chatted a bit about all sorts of things, mostly music this time, until he had to set up to go on stage. The stage was actually pretty large, and it was set up oddly in that the chairs were a longs ways from the stage. I sat in the grass with Katie and we would both get up and stand to the side and take photos as well. I told her that it was really weird walking over to the stage because I felt like I was in people's way and very noticeable. LOL I do think I got some good pics, though. I really did like John's set, as always, but I especially liked The Tomb. Jason was accompanying John on the cello and it always sounds so pretty.

Anyway, here are a few pics from the show:





After the show I talked to Tiffany and friends. I knew she would be at the show from her comments to me on facebook, but it still didn't click in as soon as I saw her. I tried to get her to talk to John. I finally had a photo taken with John, and went over to see how the folks from the church were doing, inquired about fire works (none on Friday, they were saving them for Saturday.) Since there were no fireworks planned, I just had Tiffany give me a ride home. Then I went home, and worked on photos and made sure my point and shoot was ready for Saturday.

Saturday morning my alarm was set to 7:30 a.m. I woke up at 7:05. It wasn't long enough, but I at that point going back to sleep didn't make sense. I got up and got ready to go. I left for USANA and a little over an hour later I arrived at my destination. I was the almost the only one there and the only non-employee that was there until noon when a couple of security guys showed up at the gate. We had several really good, long chats before the night was over. At two, he went ahead and wrist banded me for the show. At around 3-3:30 a couple of big Jack's Mannquin showed up and we chatted. Shortly after the line grew exponentially. Lauraless go there I think between 4:30 or 5. At a little after 5:30, the gate were open and people were running. I'm too old for a long run down hot cement. I made it to the front at the barricade.

After I'd been at the barricade for a little bit, Nicole and friends found me, and I went up and drank half a large cup of ice water and stole a piece of ice. It was heavenly. We chatted for a bit and the pit was beginning to fill up a little, so I went back to my spot that Lauralee was holding for me.

Before too long, The Fray and Jack's Mannequin came on stage and introduced Meese. Of course, the crowd loved this. :)

I really enjoyed Meese's set:




After Meese finished their set, the set up began for Jack's Mannequin. Things were rearranged, and the best laid plans failed in relationship to getting the best view from of the man behind the piano, Andrew. :) But he was pretty good at popping his head up, leaving the piano for a bit and travelling the stage, and even standing on top of the piano. Jack's Mannequin played a good, long set, and that included my favorite, Swim. In fact, I heard the sound check from the gate, and they played it during sound check, so I actually was able to hear it twice, which was definitely a plus.




About half way through Jack's Mannequin, this guy in a blue shirt came over and told me that I really wasn't supposed to be using my type of camera (but that he wasn't going to do anything about it unless Production Management said anything.) I had been told at the gate that point and shoots were o.k., just no interchangeable lenses. I figured that and I brought a point and shoot. It has a good optical zoom, but it is still not even close to a pro camera capability. For one thing, the largest print (if it's perfect) you can get is 11x15 compared to over 42" (again if the pic is perfect.) Pics at concerts, handheld in the pit are rarely perfect. When I said that it was a point and shoot he asked me if the lens went in and out, and I said "yes" then he said it was a telescopic lens and telescopic cameras weren't allowed. By his definition no one would be able to use a point a shoot. Most point and shoot lenses (except phones) go in and out and have a 3X optical zoom. Anyway, the only thing he suceeded in doing was ruining about three songs of the show for me. I barely remember them. I'm still trying to figure out what the point was. All night he kept looking at me, and it was making me nervous. I don't get it, really. Maybe someday venues will get this figured out. I may just get fed up and avoid certain venues. I paid over $60 for a ticket, so I want a good pictures to enjoy after the show. Shoot me? Sigh... I am going to save up and buy one of the small point and shoots with 10X and they won't be able to tell anymore. I bet they still find a way to single me out. It's written on my face or something.
I can't tell you how many times people have asked me not to video tape when I wasn't, but three of my neighbors were. Sigh... it's exasperating.

Anyway, I finally recovered and enjoyed the rest of JM's set immensely. Afterwards, Andrew tossed his set list and it fell on the ground. The security guy hesitated a sec, and I said he should give it to the girls on the other side from us. They are huge fans and she had gone to the Vegas show as well. Someone snatched it out of her hand in Vegas. I was really happy she got it. Then one of the stage guys threw another, and I grabbed it, as did the gal next to me. IT was practically on her shoulder. She said I could have it, so I thanked her several times and asked if she was sure. I thought that was pretty cool of her. :) So I was able to get the set list.

The Fray took a while to set up, but the wait was well worth it! The lighting was really cool. Once they took the stage I was in total awe of the vocals. I am talking goosebump good on The Fray's vocals. Their whole presentation was pretty good, and the music was amazing. There was good crowd participation, and when they sang How to Save a Life, you could hear people singing every word. At the end of their set, they came back for a long encore (I think it was three songs.) I would definitely go see them again anytime!!





Once the show ended, Lauralee and I went to the merch booth and I spent too much money on a Fray tee, a Meese cd and a The Fray cd. Then we just killed time for a good, long while waiting for traffic to die down. We listened to music, and chatted in the car with the air conditioner on. :)

Finally I made it home at 1:01 a.m. I was beat! I fell asleep editing a few photos, then went to bed and slept pretty soundly until the alarm went off.

Good times. :)

Peace out,
Melanie





(in progress.. to be finished and pics to be added.)

No comments: