Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Another Novella from an Aging Groupie






Well, last week was really busy. I managed to get tickets for three different concerts in about a week - Eisley on the 3rd, The Rentals with Copeland and Goldenboy on August 8 (I went to see Copeland) and Bowling for Soup, Melee, Quietdrive and Army of Freshmen on the 11th (I went mainly for Melee, but BFS does put on a good concert and I'd seen Quietdrive and they are really good as well.) There was actually another show I really wanted to go to at a really small venue on Saturday with Jonathan Jones (was singer of the band Waking Ashland which is no more), but it was too much. I had to get something done at home and the gas can be a lot.
For the Eisley concert, I arrived really early and was able to get permission to get my camera in. I watched people come and go, and it seems like almost no one came very early except me and one other guy and his friend. The concert was really good. They were playing an acoustic set and they have some amazing harmonies. Eisely consists of three sisters, a brother and a cousin. Dad, Boyd, is the manager. After the show, I was able to talk to most of them and get photos. Boyd is nearly as chatty as I am and very nice. He loves to tour, but he said that he had almost no sleep before the tour started because of things related to their cd release. If you like Sixpence None the Richer at all, Stacey's vocals are a bit reminiscent of Leigh Nash.
For the Copeland show, I could not seem to get ahold of anyone regarding a photo pass, so I wrote to the management of both bands. The Rentals manager actually got my camera pre-approved. In the end, they had an "open camera" policy with no video or audio, so I ended up not needing a pass. I had been really looking forward to seeing Copeland as last time I came, Copeland and I were at the venue and I talked to the drummer before they ended up driving off because the venue was being remodeled and was unacceptable, so it's been a long time since they were here. I came pretty early not knowing much about the Rentals or their popularity other than listening to a few songs online and noticing that "Friends of P" is really contagious. No one showed up for hours. Usually I have someone to talk to. LOL I just said hi and made a little bit of small talk here and there during load out and was exceedingly bored. I almost brought a book and didn't. I regretted that decision. LOL People did finally start showing up, but very late. Things are really unpredictable here in that regard. Goldenboy played first and they were really very good so I bought their cd afterwards. Then Copeland played 9 songs. They way it was set up, I just reached over and was able to get the set list. I managed to convince others in the front row to let me leave part way through The Rentals set so I could talk to Aaron, et al. as they had to leave early for the next show. The Rentals had a bus to sleep on so were in less of a hurry. Then I went back to the front of the stage. The Rentals were really good. The lead singer is the former bass player of Weezer. Bethany used to really like them a lot. He is kinda phrenetic on stage and fun to watch. They have outstanding harmonies, keyboards and a violinist. I was impressed. Afterwards I stayed and had photos taken. I also got their setlist and had it autographed.
On Saturday, my friend Lauralee was coming with her sister at 12:30 p.m., so that is when I planned to get to the venue. I didn't know if I had preapproval for my camera as Chris (of Melee) never did tell me if Gabe (tour manager) approved it or not. He did, so I was able to bring my camera in. I have a tradition with Ricky (guitarist) of bringing him Beef Jerkey from UT. He blogged about trying beef jerkey in every state in a blog once, and he loves it. Since we were there so early, we saw pretty much everyone load out. When I first got there, Chris (bass player) of Bowling for Soup was walking his dog Sherman. I was the 4th person in line. My friend and her sis were the first two, and Emily a huge Army of Freshman fan was 3rd. We had lots of time to visit, take turns going to the bathroom, going to my car, etc. BFS had a radio station sound check party like last time only this time people actually showed up, so I didn't get to go. Last time in Jan., only 4 people actuallyl came, so they let 25 of us in line go. The gal behind me in line was a fan/friend of Quietdrive, and she stole one of their bandanas and wore it a lot of the day. It was funny. Bowling for Soup arrived at the venue just before I did. Then Army of Freshman showed up and talked to Emily and the rest of us a little bit. Quietdrive showed up. I was looking for Melee. I think they are always the last ones there every time. LOL I visited with them a bit, gave Ricky his beef jerkey and waited some more. After a very long, hot afternoon, it was finally time to enter. The show was outstanding. Army of Freshman was really good and very energetic on stage. The same was true for Quietdrive, and the lead singer also played violin on a few songs and it added a lot to the music. Then it was time for Melee! Let me say that I totally love those guys. Chris always gives 100% plus on stage, and the guys comaraderie off the stage carries over on stage. There stage presence and great music really make them a favorite of mine to see. They are well loved in Salt Lake City. Later Chris said this is one place they could pull off being a headliner. I am hoping someday they will headline here. The stage guy gave me a drumstick and said it was Melee's. Bowling for Soup put on a good show as always. It was the third time I'd seen them. The bass player probably weighs over 400 lbs, and moves in ways a guy like that is not expected to move. LOL He winks a lot, kisses his bass, and does some funny things. The lead singer can toss a pic into his mouth, spit it back up really high and catch it, although he did miss it once this time. I think that's rare. Their song High School is pretty funny. I really didn't talk to any of them, although they were around a lot time and I saw them often. Last time I talked to Eric a bit.
After the show, I had photos taken in the venue, and was talking to Ricky when they were kicking us out. So, I asked him if he'd be around outside a bit and he said yes, so I left. Outside I was talking to Ricky. Everyone was milling around and it was pretty laid back. People had pics taken, talked to their favorite band people for probably a couple of hours, or at least it seemed like it. I talked to Chris for a really long time about books, music, faith, and just about everything. LOL Then Chris had to go and get a pic with a guitar winner. I walked over and it turned out to be Emily! She won a pink guitar autographed by all the bands. When I asked her, she wasn't even sure how she won it. I did find that there was an Ernie Ball contest to win a guitar, so I'm guessing that was it. Too funny that she didn't even know. LOL So, I took a pic of her with it and the bands. Chris was the only one from Melee in the pic, though. I said "what happened to everyone else" and he had no idea. LOL Then I spotted Ryan and talked to him for a little bit. I had Ryan autograph the drumstick, and the only one who hadn't already done so was the drummer. We laughed about it. Then Mike (the drummer) came by and signed it and said it wasn't his drumstick. So we had to unravel the mystery of the drumstick. The Melee crew was all planning to go to The Gateway to the movies to see Rush Hour 3. I ended up talking to Chris again, and I asked if he was going and he said he didn't think so. Then he was told his movie was going to start, so he ended up going anyway. I told him he could write us a movie review. The funny thing is that Ricky and Ryan did a funny review on Ricky's blog. I'm not sure what Chris thought yet. The Melee bunch left for the theaters, and I ended up talking to Kai of Army of Freshmen for a very long time. Emily was involved in the conversation, but I think Kai and I did most of the talking. I manage to solve the drumstick mystery as the drumstick belonged to AOF's drummer. Kai signed it I think he plays bass. LOL Anyway, it's a funny memory. After Kai left, Emily and I stayed and chatted for a good while, and we both finally headed off for home. Emily went South, and I set off to the North. I was tired, but it was a good day. Anyway, the day's events went something like that, although the order gets a bit jumbled at times. I'm soooo old. LOL
On the way home I stopped at Arby's and went to check the time to make sure it wasn't too late to order. No cell phone. Apparently it had fallen out of my camera bag. It hasn't turned up. I had the account suspended. Today I called to ask a question and after the whole tale, and after I told the gal the camera only took fuzzy pics from the beginning and I was thinking of returning it had it not been lost, she offered to send me another one just like it for free if I renewed my contract as of todays date. I took her up on the offer. She waived everything pretty much, so I decided to have it shipped express for $15. I still can't believe it. You usually have to pull teeth to get anything from them like that!!! So, I'm a happy person in that regard. I still hope the phone comes back to me so I can get the info. from my sim card, but that took a good deal of stress off my mind.
Oh, and speaking of stress... I am involved in a "Brad Avery Fear Factor" contest right now. I have had it reconfirmed that I am indeed a klutz and cannot juggle golf balls. I tied for last place on that round. I'm looking good for the round where I have to eat some weird concoction which is supposed to be a "cake" and eat it in under 4 minutes while drinking 20 oz of A&W Root beer. Don't ever do that. Your stomach thinks it is going to explode. Besides, Brad may like root beer, I have never liked the stuff much. At any rate, one of the prizes is a meet & greet to the show of your choice for Third Day. Brad is the bass player. They do these sort of things on their message boards around birthdays. Hopefully I'll survive the challenge, although I'll be shocked if I win. LOL Pray for me, I'll need it. Ed calls it self-inflicted punishment. He's probably right. LOL Have a good laugh at my expense. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyA3_Q0mx6I
Peace out,
--Melanie
Oh, I almost forgot to mention.. on the way home in the mountains behind Lagoon, there was a fire. I don't really know the details. I tried to take pics from my car, but as I feared it wasn't going to work in the dark from a moving vehicle. The drivers behind me most likley thought I was tipsy. ;)


1 comment:

AJ said...

wow! very cool...i haven't seen copeland yet live, but i adore their music.

hey, if you can, try to get some of your great pics of mae (especially zach :)) when you see them play..i can't go this time around due to preparing for my dissertation defense..ah...alas, i can at least live through your "frequent flyer miles" (ha ha! :)) at all these concerts until i'm done with school & can hopefully have a life again! :) keep having fun. :)