Friday, May 28, 2010

Home again Home Again to May Showers and flowers.. Pt. 3

As May 11 quickly turned into May 12, and I departed from the Needtobreathe concert, stopping briefly for something to eat at Wendy's, and arrived home about 1 a.m. I recall thinking that it was late, and how I had hoped for some extra rest, but had I been at work, I would not have quite been home. I did the best I could to get a few things ready for Saturday, and for work the next day and then crashed, but it wasn't too early.

Somewhere between Wednesday and Thursday, I worked a few extra hours, because I'm a little crazy that way. They were offering overtime the next week, and for some crazy reason I was thinking it started with the announcement, even though I knew better. I just didn't think it through. I worked about 3 hours extra and it ended up being only for credit. (I figured I might be able to use it for the U2 show that is now postponed until next year. LOL) I was tired by Friday night, and again hoping for an earlier bedtime and some rest. As it turned out, I made it to bed early -- early Saturday morning about 4 a.m. I was ready to just get up, load up and go. The plan was for 10 a.m. The reality was 11:30 a.m. with a pit stop at Smith's for a few items and gasoline. I figured I'd be to Vegas about 7 p.m. if things went really well.

As it turned out, I made it to Vegas pretty close to 7, perhaps a little after. I was right on track finding the correct freeway exit, but was surprised when the exit opened up into a wall of traffic, blinding sunlight directly in my face, and two right lanes that went to Las Vegas Blvds aka the Strip (which I had hoped to avoid altogether.) I finally ended up in Mandalay Bay's parking lot, calling my husband to look up Terrible Herbst's phone number (where I had a room waiting), calling the hotel, getting directions an heading out once again. I finally made it to the hotel and checked into my room a little after 8:30 p.m.

I had planned to go swimming, but it didn't happen. Instead, I went to the Comfort Inn to see if April was there without any success. (As it turned out, April decided not to go after all.) Then I walked over to the concert venue (taking photos along the way) and checked it out and asked a few questions.

Kenny Chesney was playing and I seriously considered buying a ticket, then decided maybe not or that I should think about it. It was just as well, as the sign outside said Saturday's show was sold out anyway. I could hear the concert from the ticketing area pretty well. Just after I left "The Joint" at the Hard Rock Hotel, I talked to a guy about the Kenny Chesney concert and he told me that if Kenny is sober he plays a 2 hour show, and if he's been drinking he plays 4 hours. I found out the next night from security, that he'd had a bit to drink and finished at 1 a.m. I took more photos, walked back and forth between my hotel, CVS drug store where I purchased a few needed items I didn't bring with me, and the Hard Rock Hotel.

I decided to walk over to the strip, which was a pretty good hike and almost got there before I changed my mind. It seems after 10 the lights aren't quite the same and it just didn't seem worth the walk since I just wanted photos. It was kind of eerily quiet for the most part and I was getting a tad nervous.

Finally, I went back to the hotel and had a prime rib sandwich at the Cafe upstairs.
(photo of wall at the cafe):
Then I found my hotel room again, showered and watched a really cute movie (whatever it happened to be called I cannot say.) Tomorrow was the big day - Paramore, Relient K and Fun's final show of their tour. I figured that I didn't have to be at The Joint too early since they didn't allow line ups until 3 p.m., but I also figured that I'd check it out before too late just in case. Still, I didn't set any alarms. The bed was really comfy, the room temp was comfortable - not too hot, not too cold. Sleep came easily.

No comments: